Director of Development
Anticipated Start Date: September 1, 2019
Working closely with, and reporting to, the Vice President of Advancement, the Director of Development leads the implementation of Ambrose University’s development strategy and fundraising activities to substantially increase sustainable streams of revenue for the organization through annual gifts, major gifts, planned giving, corporate donations, grant solicitation, in-kind resources and donor relations.
The successful candidate will be a mission driven individual who actively builds a dynamic culture of philanthropy for the University. This leader highly values the need for integrated and shared responsibility, and relentlessly develops, pursues and executes sustainable fund raising plans to increase our stakeholder engagement through authentic donor relationships.
Main responsibilities include:
- Work with the Vice President of Advancement in the creation of a multi-year strategic development plan and program, including capital campaigns, to establish a strong and diversified base of support;
- Leading Development staff in raising awareness, endorsement and support among key external constituents for the University’s highest priorities and strategic objectives;
- Actively research, develop, manage and cultivate relationships and contacts with individuals, churches, denominations, alumni, and businesses;
- Maintain an vigorous visitation schedule including travel throughout Alberta (and Canada when necessary) to meet with donors and prospects;
- Build enduring and authentic relationships with key external constituents, such as major donor prospects, that encourage, develop and deliver successively greater value to the University;
- Establish and meet annual funding objectives and goals while monitoring achievement progress;
- Manage the donor database ensuring accurate recording of donations and donor related information;
- Mentor and coach Development staff in creating a strong culture of philanthropy and stewardship;
- Assist in creating and maintaining Development policies and procedures which reflect ethical fundraising practices;
- Oversee the planning and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the development plan;
- Liaise with event planning and Communications staff to maximize exposure for the institution;
- Work in collaboration with the Development and Communication teams to ensure all donor interactions are consistent with the University’s brand and key messaging;
- Develop and manage the budget and operating plan for development and fundraising activities.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- University degree in a relevant field. A combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of educational requirement;
- A minimum of 10 years of related experience, with a minimum of 5 years in development;
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation is highly preferred.
- Superior interpersonal, leadership, administration, planning and prioritization skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Exceptional skills in crafting persuasive/exploratory letters and other forms of written correspondence;
- Demonstrated ability to ask for and receive major gifts of financial support;
- Able to work effectively under financial and schedule pressures to achieve overall institutional objectives;
- Proven experience managing and leading teams;
- Proven ability to organize and structure for efficient decision-making;
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically;
- Ability to gain trust of supporters and build productive relationships throughout the community;
- Experience with, and good working knowledge of, CRM databases is a definite asset.
- Solid computer skills (Excel, Word and Outlook and presentation software).
- Adheres to AFP guidelines & Donor Bill of Rights.
- Good knowledge of, and operates within, CRA guidelines, that relate to financial and gift-in-kind donations and donor recognition.
- Ambrose Employees agree to uphold and sign the University’s Statement of Faith upon initial appointment and govern the conduct of his or her work, in accordance therewith.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory background criminal check and academic transcripts.
- In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
To apply, please forward a curriculum vitae and cover letter to Human Resources email@example.com indicating Director of Development in the subject line. Salary expectations are available upon request. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that the anticipated start date for this position is September 1, 2019.
Ambrose University is committed to employment diversity and encourages applications from all qualified men and women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Ambrose University is a private, accredited Christian post-secondary institute located in South West Calgary. Our Faculty of Arts and Science offers provincially accredited Bachelor of Arts degree programs majoring in Behavioural Science, Christian Studies, English Literature, General Studies, and History as well as Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Music, and a Bachelor of Science majoring in Biology. We also offer a Bachelor of Education (After Degree). Our Faculty of Theology offers undergraduate degree programs in Children’s Ministries, Church Ministries, Intercultural Studies, Worship Arts and Youth Ministries. At the Seminary level there are a variety of graduate options including Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Christian Studies as well as Diploma and Certificate programs. Ambrose is committed to the integration of Christian faith with academic discipline, with a vision for academic excellence in the service of the church and the world. For more information visit us online at .