Assistant Professor, Sociology (2-Year Fixed-Term)
Ambrose University invites applications for a two-year term-specific faculty position in Sociology, starting August 2024. Reporting to the Dean of Arts and Science and working collaboratively with the Chair of Social Sciences, the individual has shared responsibility for developing and executing a robust Sociology program vision while successfully maintaining individual teaching, committee, and research loads.
This position is funded by an Alberta Advanced Education Targeted Enrolment Expansion program, in support of the long-term growth of the Ambrose Social Science Department and its degree programs.
Review of applications will begin December 15, 2023. The position will remain open until filled.
The primary area of responsibility will be in Sociology of Health, with preference for someone with expertise in Quantitative Methods. The Social Sciences department offers two degrees: a Bachelor of Arts in Behavioural Science (3-year concentration or 4-year major), which is an interdisciplinary degree with Sociology and Psychology; and a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology (4-year major). Minors in Behavioural Science, Sociology, and Psychology are also offered. The addition of another sociologist is anticipated to position the Social Sciences department to expand its offerings to include a 4-year Bachelor of Arts Sociology degree. The successful applicant will complement our current sociological expertise in Criminology, Race, Religion, Social Inequality, and Youth by teaching Research Methods, Quantitative Methods, Multivariate Statistics and elective courses in a secondary area such as: Sociology of Health, Sociology of Aging, Social Problems, Social Theory, or other courses related to an applicant’s area of interest and expertise.
Duties will include:
- Preparation and teaching of Sociology courses.
- Ongoing research and publication.
- Supervision of senior student independent research projects.
- Regular committee work at departmental and institutional levels.
- Academic advising and support for students involved in work-integrated learning opportunities.
- Periodic involvement in student recruitment, curriculum development, and other department initiatives.
Education and Experience
- PhD in Sociology or equivalent
- Demonstrated success in post-secondary teaching.
- Demonstrated success in research.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate the Christian faith and the study of Sociology.
- Demonstrated experience as a team player and colleague in the Social Science department.
- Ambrose Employees agree to uphold and sign the University’s Statement of Faith upon initial appointment and govern the conduct of his or her work, in accordance therewith.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory background criminal check and academic transcripts.
- In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- A relocation allowance may be provided.
To apply, please send a letter of application, complete curriculum vitae (CV), a statement of teaching philosophy, and the names and contact information for three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating “Position in Sociology” in the subject line.
Ambrose University is committed to employment diversity and encourages applications from all qualified men and women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Ambrose University is a private, accredited Christian post-secondary institute located in South West Calgary. Our Faculty of Arts and Science offers provincially accredited Bachelor of Arts degree programs majoring in Behavioural Science, Christian Studies, English Literature, General Studies, History, and Psychology as well as Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Music, and a Bachelor of Science majoring in Biology. We also offer a Bachelor of Education (After Degree). Our Faculty of Theology offers undergraduate degree programs in Children’s Ministries, Church Ministries, Intercultural Studies, Worship Arts and Youth Ministries. At the Seminary level there are a variety of graduate options including Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Christian Studies as well as Diploma and Certificate programs. Ambrose is committed to the integration of Christian faith with academic discipline, with a vision for academic excellence in the service of the church and the world. For more information visit us online at www.ambrose.edu.