Associate Dean of Education
The Associate Dean is responsible for providing administrative leadership to the School of Education by envisioning, articulating and enabling the programs, advancing student success, overseeing personnel and managing resources that support the ongoing work of the School. The Associate Dean reports to the Provost, Vice President of Academic Affairs. The Associate Deans of Education and Business along with the Deans of the two major Faculties work in close collaboration with each other to advance the institutional goals and align programs with the institutional mission.
The Associate Dean’s responsibilities include:
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the Ambrose Master Academic Plan;
- In collaboration with the Director of Planning and Assessment, maintains and organizes data for department planning and completing program cyclical reviews
- Provides leadership in the implementation of institutional policies and procedures
- Serves as an integral member of the institution’s governance structure
- Collaborates with other departments to advance the objectives and vision of the School of Education
- Advances student recruitment, academic success, retention and graduation initiatives
- Represents the School to prospective and current students
- Monitors enrolment and retention trends
- Collaborates with other Deans, Chairs and faculty to assure a student-centered class schedule that assures students can complete programs of study efficiently
- Addresses student concerns in accordance with institutional policies, practices and procedures
Program and Curriculum
- Envisions, articulates and enables the programs of the School
- Provides oversight of curriculum development for the program
- Leads program cyclical reviews, ensuring accreditation and professional standards are maintained
- Provides leadership for new program offerings and delivery formats
Faculty and Staff
- Works with the VPAA to recruit and recommend for hire tenure-track and lecturer faculty
- Works with the VPAA to recruit and hire sessional faculty and staff
- Organizes new faculty and staff orientation to the department
- Provides leadership to faculty with respect to instruction, research, and service responsibilities
- Provides annual performance evaluations for faculty and staff positions in the School of Education
- Provides leadership in resolving issues and problems that arise with faculty and staff
- Promotes excellence in teaching and learning
- Promotes excellence in scholarship
- Oversees the administrative and operational functions of the School
- Works with the VPAA to prepare and manage department budgets and resource allocation
- Advises the VPAA on university policies and procedures as they relate to the School of Education
- Serves on appropriate committees as assigned, including General Faculties Council, Academic Planning and Policy Committee and the Promotion, Tenure and Sabbatical Committee
- Leads the School of Education faculty council
- Assists with grant development and monitoring
- Oversees co-curricular events for the School of Education
- Resolves escalating issues arising from operations and requiring coordination with other departments
- Establishes and chairs the School of Education Advisory Council
- Represents the School to key external constituencies
- In collaboration with the VPAA, facilitates articulation agreements, transfer credits, partnership contracts
- Builds relationships with alumni and other stakeholders
Other duties as assigned by the VPAA
Administrative Information related to the Position
The position is a full-time management position that carries faculty rank but not tenure status. In cases where an Associate Dean is hired internally, they will retain tenure, rank and their teaching post.
The position requires an earned doctorate in a field closely related to program offerings in the School of Education.
Personal adherence to the Christian faith is a bona fide occupational requirement. All faculty and senior administrators at Ambrose University are required to sign a doctrinal statement and adhere to lifestyle expectations. Appointment as an Associate Dean will only be made after the receipt of official academic transcripts and the completion of a police check.
Associate Deans are normally expected to teach at least two courses each academic year. Associate Deans are reviewed annually by the VPAA and are subject to a global assessment on a biennial basis.
- In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
To apply, please forward a curriculum vitae and cover letter Attention to the Provost c/o firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Associate Dean of Education in the subject line. Salary expectations are available upon request. Review of applications will begin immediately but the position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ambrose University is committed to employment diversity and encourages applications from all qualified men and women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Ambrose University is a private, accredited Christian post-secondary institute located in South West Calgary. Our Faculty of Arts and Science offers provincially accredited Bachelor of Arts degree programs majoring in Behavioural Science, Christian Studies, English Literature, General Studies, History, and Psychology as well as Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Music, and a Bachelor of Science majoring in Biology. We also offer a Bachelor of Education (After Degree). Our Faculty of Theology offers undergraduate degree programs in Children’s Ministries, Church Ministries, Intercultural Studies, Worship Arts and Youth Ministries. At the Seminary level there are a variety of graduate options including Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Christian Studies as well as Diploma and Certificate programs. Ambrose is committed to the integration of Christian faith with academic discipline, with a vision for academic excellence in the service of the church and the world. For more information visit us online at www.ambrose.edu.