Science Laboratory Manager
The position provides support to the Science Department within the Faculty of Arts & Science. This position reports to the Chair of Science and also works closely with Science faculty members, the Dean of Arts & Science, and the Administrative Assistant of the Dean of Arts & Science.
This support staff member must have strong organizational skills and be attentive to detail. The ability to take initiative and solve problems are also key to this role. Primary responsibilities involve the management of BSL1 biology and chemistry laboratories, which includes overseeing health and safety protocols in each laboratory, ordering and maintaining laboratory supplies, and ensuring the organization and cleanliness of the lab.
The hours of work will fluctuate between months, with the expectation of in-depth cleaning in preparation for each new semester. The work schedule will be negotiated with the Chair each semester, but the expectation is that the lab manager is onsite at least 3 days per week during the fall and winter semesters. Fewer hours are required in summer. If overtime is required, it must be approved in advance by the Chair.
Preference will be given to candidates able to teach a variety of Biology and/or Chemistry labs (a separate agreement would be provided).
Position Load: 12-months (.50 FTE) plus lab instruction, if applicable
Supervisor: Chair of Science
- Health and Safety Protocols for BSL1 biology and chemistry laboratories
- Manage training, monitoring, and upholding heath and safety protocols (e.g. WHMIS, signage)
- Maintain lab-related documents, such as equipment manuals and safety data sheets (SDS)
- Test lab safety equipment on a regular basis
- Technical support related to the safe operation of lab equipment, as needed
- Establish and improve procedures and processes by addressing issues and risks with supervisor
- Work with Campus Services on emergency response and infrastructure
- Laboratory Supplies
- Ordering laboratory supplies as needed
- Organizing and storing all chemical solids, fluids, and compressed gases according to safety instructions
- Maintaining up-to-date laboratory inventories
- Managing the disposal of waste materials (chemical, biohazardous, etc.)
- Ensuring adherence to regulatory requirements, budgets, and schedules
- Organizing and cleaning the laboratories
- Cleaning, sterilizing, maintaining, and calibrating laboratory equipment and workspaces
- Preparing the laboratory for each upcoming semester
- Collaborating in the preparation of equipment purchase plans and sourcing new equipment
- Periodically check on plants and electronic devices during summer and winter breaks
- Orienting new faculty (tenure-track, lecturers, sessional instructors, lab instructors) to Ambrose lab policies and practices
- Developing and leading training for students to prepare them for work-integrated learning (i.e. field placement)
- Committee Service
- Laboratory Safety Committee
The lab manager should have the following education and experience:
- Completion of a Master of Science degree in a relevant discipline.
- Laboratory technician experience (lab management experience preferred).
The lab manager should have the following abilities:
- Collaborate with the Chair and Science faculty, demonstrating strong team skills to support the work of the laboratories.
- Set, re-evaluate, and adjust priorities as needed, in order to accomplish diverse tasks and meet deadlines.
- Maintain an open professional, respectful communication style in the context of shifting priorities, work interruptions, and important deadlines.
- Make decisions and problem-solve, using judgment to determine when to consult with the Chair or Science faculty members.
- Handle challenging and/or sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Identify risks and apply appropriate risk mitigation strategies.
- Respond immediately to dangerous situations with appropriate interventions.
- Identify challenges and offer suggestions to improve lab environments and practices.
- Support the work of educating students in Science courses.
- Ambrose Employees agree to uphold and sign the University’s Statement of Faith upon initial appointment and govern the conduct of his or her work, in accordance therewith.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory background criminal check and academic transcripts.
- In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
To apply, please forward a curriculum vitae and cover letter Attention to Shelly Sylvester firstname.lastname@example.org indicating Science Laboratory Manager in the subject line. Salary expectations are available upon request. Review of applications will begin immediately but the position will remain open until a suitable candidate has been selected. Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ambrose University is committed to employment diversity and encourages applications from all qualified men and women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Ambrose University is a private, accredited Christian post-secondary institute located in South West Calgary. Our Faculty of Arts and Science offers provincially accredited Bachelor of Arts degree programs majoring in Behavioural Science, Christian Studies, English Literature, General Studies, History, and Psychology as well as Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Music, and a Bachelor of Science majoring in Biology. We also offer a Bachelor of Education (After Degree). Our Faculty of Theology offers undergraduate degree programs in Children’s Ministries, Church Ministries, Intercultural Studies, Worship Arts and Youth Ministries. At the Seminary level there are a variety of graduate options including Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Christian Studies as well as Diploma and Certificate programs. Ambrose is committed to the integration of Christian faith with academic discipline, with a vision for academic excellence in the service of the church and the world. For more information visit us online at www.ambrose.edu.