Senior Communications Specialist
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Senior Communications Specialist is a key member of a dynamic team, working to pursue overall departmental goals through effective leadership and professional communications. Working independently and as part of a collaborative team, the primary responsibilities of this permanent full-time position include: managing the flow of projects, monitoring project costs, serving as point-person for the promotion of major events, participating in strategic planning as it relates to brand management, organizing annual campaigns and external/internal communications projects, and providing creative content, as needed, primarily through writing and editing.
- Manage the communications request system and monitor progress on day-to-day communications work.
- Manage the promotion of Ambrose events through web, social media, print and digital media.
- Work with internal stakeholders to increase enrolment through multichannel marketing projects.
- Manage existing and new relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with the Department of Institutional Data Analysis to maintain and develop the website, as well as monitor website branding standards.
- Provide oversight and direction on the Ambrose brand to ensure consistency.
- Provide guidance to internal stakeholders on communication needs.
- Monitor processes and share information with internal and external audiences as needed.
- Assist in the production of Anthem magazine and the Impact Report, as well as participate in content creation.
- Develop communications products as required.
- In the event the Director of Communications is unavailable, work with the Executive Director in media relations, including coordinating media requests, acting as a spokesperson, and preparing news releases.
- Develop solutions to complex internal and external communications challenges.
- Promote cooperative relationships with university departments to increase program awareness or knowledge of Communications as a strategic partner.
- Create and monitor writing and messaging standards for staff and volunteers.
- Lead the communications team in scheduling and planning by managing project intake and timelines.
- Act as the communications lead on all major events including arts productions, public lectures, and graduation.
- Accept additional duties and responsibilities as directed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or proven success in related work experience
- Thorough knowledge of internal communications, with a demonstrated ability to support change management, employee engagement, internal branding, and values-based communications
- Demonstrated ability in writing to various audiences
- Strong ability to manage sensitive projects and issues in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience working in post-secondary organization is highly desirable.
- Superior storytelling skills through a variety of mediums
- Proficient with computer applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Suite, Content Management Systems such as SharePoint, social media engagement tools such as Hootsuite, etc. (Experience with Premiere Pro would be an asset.)
- Self-motivated, proactive, energetic and goal-oriented with superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Having the highest standards of personal integrity, a strong work ethic and an optimistic outlook
- The ability to maintain confidentiality
- A proven ability to provide supervision
- Positive, approachable and friendly disposition
- Sensitivity and ability to work with a diversity of people and cultural groups
- Excellent verbal, written, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Innovative, with an ability to bring new ideas to the team
- Adaptable and able to function effectively in a busy and challenging work environment
- Ambrose Employees agree to uphold and sign the University’s Statement of Faith upon initial appointment and to govern the conduct of their work in accordance therewith.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory background criminal check and academic transcripts.
- In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
To apply, please forward a curriculum vitae and cover letter Attention to email@example.com indicating Senior Communications Specialist in the subject line. Salary expectations are available upon request. Review of applications will begin immediately but applications will be accepted until February 10, 2023 Only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ambrose University is committed to employment diversity and encourages applications from all qualified men and women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Ambrose University is a private, accredited Christian post-secondary institute located in South West Calgary. Our Faculty of Arts and Science offers provincially accredited Bachelor of Arts degree programs majoring in Behavioural Science, Christian Studies, English Literature, General Studies, History, and Psychology as well as Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Music, and a Bachelor of Science majoring in Biology. We also offer a Bachelor of Education (After Degree). Our Faculty of Theology offers undergraduate degree programs in Children’s Ministries, Church Ministries, Intercultural Studies, Worship Arts and Youth Ministries. At the Seminary level there are a variety of graduate options including Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Christian Studies as well as Diploma and Certificate programs. Ambrose is committed to the integration of Christian faith with academic discipline, with a vision for academic excellence in the service of the church and the world. For more information visit us online at www.ambrose.edu.