About the Ambrose Library
The Ambrose Library serves the students, faculty and staff of Ambrose University College and Ambrose Seminary. It is one of the largest private academic libraries in western Canada. Its rapidly growing collection features more than 120,000 bound volumes and 185 magazine and journal titles. Particular strengths include Christian studies, history, music, behavioural science, business, English, and Islamics. For more information on the library’s collections, as well as annual reports, see below.
The library also seeks to serve the local congregations of the Church of the Nazarene in Canada and Christian & Missionary Alliance in Canada (CMAC), as well as the broader Calgary community.
The Ambrose Archives, which is administered by the library, serves as the official repository for the institutional records of Ambrose University College, Ambrose Seminary, and the CMAC. In addition, a special research collection of books and periodicals documents the history and thought of the Christian and Missionary Alliance and the Church of the Nazarene.
Ambrose belongs to a local consortium of academic libraries that also includes the University of Calgary, St. Mary’s University College, and Bow Valley College. The students, faculty, and staff of the participating institutions may borrow up to 50 items at a time on two-week loan from any of the four member libraries.
The students, faculty, and staff of Ambrose may place holds online (for materials from the Ambrose collection). See FAQs for more information.
Calgary-area residents who are not enrolled in or employed by members of the consortium are welcome to register for a Community Reader’s Card. The membership is free of charge, but there will be a $5 fee to replace lost cards.
- The loan period is two (2) weeks.
- Fines are charged at the rate of $1.00 per overdue item per day. Borrowers are responsible for overdue materials and the accompanying fines even if they have not received an overdue notice. Fines are payable at the Circulation Desk.
- Report any lost material to the Circulation Manager. Charges will be assessed for lost items.
- Patrons will receive an e-mail notice 3 days before their items are due.
- Overdue items or items on which a hold has been placed may not be renewed.
- To renew online, click on the link in the e-mail notice or on "My Account" on the library’s catalogue search screen.
- The ID number is the number on your student/library card and the PIN is the last 4 digits of your phone number.
- Reserves are kept at the Circulation Desk and are lent for either 2 hours or 2 days.
- Two-hour loans may be checked out overnight and must be returned by 10:00 a.m. the following morning.
- Fines are charged on overdue reserve materials.
Research assistance is available in person Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Please direct e-mail inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For other libraries:
• Books — 4 weeks; renew one week before due date; cost $10.00 per volume (or reciprocal rates; invoiced with item)
• Periodicals — no loan for print issues; photocopies of up to 25 pages are provided for a minimum charge of $7.00 (or reciprocal rates; invoiced with item)
• Not for loan — reference, reserve, audiovisual, and special collections materials.
By e-mail: email@example.com
By phone: 403-410-2946
Contact name: Diane Ayer
For students, faculty, and staff of Ambrose:
- Go to the Circulation Desk for assistance, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, and put "ILL" (plus the title requested) in the subject line, and include full bibliographic information in the body of the email. You must send a separate email for EACH request.
- Note that the library does not process ILL student requests for items held by the libraries of the University of Calgary, Bow Valley College, St. Mary’s University, or by the Calgary Public Library.