Arch Wong, PhD, DMin, STM, MDiv, BA (Honours)
PhD (University of Regina)
DMin (Fuller Theological Seminary)
STM (Regis College, University of Toronto)
MDiv (McMaster Divinity College, McMaster University)
BA (Honours) (McMaster University)
I was born in Malaysia and grew up in Canada. I have served at Ambrose for over 20 years. Previously, I was the English Pastor at Scarborough Chinese Alliance Church for nearly 10 years in Toronto, Ontario.
I am a big sports fan of the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and an avid road cyclist.
My current research is in the areas of reflective practice, the relationship between theory and practice, qualitative research methodologies for practical theology, the scholarship of teaching and learning, spiritual formation, and flourishing congregations.
Scholarly & Professional Activity
- Association of Theological Schools Board of Commissioners
- Religious Education Association, Board of Directors (Member At-Large)
- Convener, Asians & Asian North Americans in Religious Education (AANARE)
- Editorial Board, Teaching Theology and Religion
Recent Conference Presentations
- 2019, June 17-20. The Changing Canadian Context and What it Means for the Church. Mentoring Retreat for the Montreal Presbyterian College. Montreal, QC.
- 2018, July 21. A View from the Pew: Flourishing Congregations in Canada Preliminary Observations. Festival of Faith of the 43rd General Council of the United Church of Canada. Oshawa, ON.
- 2018, June 9. What Does a Flourishing Congregation Look Like? Scarboro United Church. Calgary, AB.
- 2018, June 6-7. A View from the Pew: Flourishing Congregations in Canada Preliminary Observations. General Assembly of the Christian and Missionary Alliance in Canada. Calgary, AB
- 2018, March 8. Flourishing Congregations in Canada Domains and Constructs and Its Implications for Children and Family Ministries. Children and Family Ministries Network. Calgary, AB.
- 2017, November 3. (With Ryan Gardner and Nathan Pangerl) Learning a Pedagogy of the Spirit Together: A Mixed Methods Comparative Study of Evangelical and LDS Student Experiences in Religious Education. Religious Education Association. St. Louis, MO.
- 2016, October 28. (With Joel Thiessen) Flourishing Congregations in Canada: Preliminary Observations. Society for the Scientific Study of Religion. Atlanta, GA.
- 2016, November 26. (With Bill McAlpine and Keith Walker) Flourishing Congregations in Canada: Preliminary Findings. Flourishing Congregations Institute Launch. Calgary, AB.