Beth Stovell, PhD, MCS, BA
PhD (McMaster Divinity College)
MCS (Regent College)
BA (University of Texas)
I was born in Italy, grew up in Austin, Texas, and have studied the ancient world, the Bible, Christian Spirituality, and English Literature in the United States and Canada. I specialize in biblical hermeneutics, the use of the Old Testament in the New Testament, and the use of biblical metaphors, particularly in the Minor Prophets and in the Johannine corpus. I have published on biblical hermeneutics, the use of Old Testament metaphors of God’s kingship in John’s Gospel, and recent approaches to metaphor in the Old and New Testaments. I care about bridging the gap between the acadmey and the Church. For this reason, I write for scholarly journals and books, for commentaries, and for popular magazines such as Faith Today, Christianity Today, and Bible Study Magazine. I am on the editorial board for the Bulletin for Biblical Research, Didaktikos: Journal of Theological Education, and DNI (Dictionary of Nature Imagery) Bible Supplement Series.
Besides teaching at Ambrose, I have also taught at St. Thomas University (Miami Gardens, FL), McMaster Divinity College, Regent College, and Pacific Life Bible College. I have also presented seminar papers at numerous conferences in the UK and in North America.
I have worked in various forms of ministry for 20 years, including preaching, teaching, prayer ministry and worship ministry. In my current church home, Epic Vineyard, I preach and teach periodically and am on the worship team. I work with my husband, Jon, on the national team for Vineyard Canada, our denomination, overseeing theological and spiritual formation.
In my free time, I enjoy exploring new music (and playing piano and guitar), reading fun books, and creating food that is an “adventure.” I am married to Jon Stovell and we have two adorable kids: Elena and Atticus.
I am currently writing a two-part commentary on the Minor Prophets for Zondervan’s The Story of God Bible commentary series, commentaries on Ezekiel and John for Baker Academic and on Hosea for the Bible in God’s World series, a book on Johannine kingdom theology for Baker Academic, and am co-writing with David Fuller a book on the Book of the Twelve for the Cascade Companions series. I continue to write and research on topics associated with metaphor, Prophetic literature, and Johannine literature.
Current Work In Progress, Under Contract and At Press
The Gospel of John. Word and Spirit Commentary series. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, in progress, 2027.
Hosea. The Bible in God's World commentary series. Eugene, OR: Cascade, in progress, 2024.
Jesus our King: Introducing Johannine Kingdom Theology. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, in progress, 2024.
Ezekiel. Baker Commentary on the Old Testament: Prophetic Books. Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, in progress, 2022.
Minor Prophets II (Nahum-Malachi): A Commentary. The Story of God Bible Commentary Series: Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, forthcoming, 2022.
Minor Prophets I (Hosea-Micah): A Commentary. The Story of God Bible Commentary Series: Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, forthcoming, 2022.
The Book of the Twelve. Co-Authored with David Fuller. Cascade Companion series. Eugene, OR: Cascade, in progress, 2021.
I have written numerous book reviews in Journal of Biblical Literature, Journal of Hebrew Scriptures, Journal of Greco-Roman Christianity and Judaism, Religious Studies Review, Priscilla Papers, McMaster Journal of Theology and Ministry, and Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament.
Scholarly & Professional Activity
- Society of Biblical Literature (Co-Chair of the Steering Committee, Biblical Hebrew Poetry Group)
- Canadian Society of Biblical Studies
- Society of Vineyard Scholars
- Institute for Biblical Research (Secretary and Chair of Membership, Co-chair for ”The Book of the Twelve Prophets in Biblical Scholarship” Research Group)
- American Academy of Religion
Grants, Awards, Honours, and Nominations (Added category)
- 2019. Academic Mission to Israel, funded by the Center for Jewish-Christian Understanding & Cooperation.
- 2019-2021. Institute for Biblical Research Ecosystem Support Grant, funded by Imago Die Fund on behalf of Institute for Biblical Research, 2019-2020. $32,260 USD. Principal investigator.
- 2019-2021. Science for Seminaries Project, funded by American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Dialogue on Science, Ethics, and Religion Program (DoSER) on behalf of Ambrose Seminary of Ambrose University, Calgary, AB, 2019-2020. $75,000 USD/$98,400 CAD; Co-principal investigator with Dr. Arch Wong. Secondary investigators: Mark Buchanan and Dr. Christina Conroy.
- 2019-2020. Shantz Bequest Earning Disbursement Fund ($12,250) 2018-2020, funded by Shantz Mennonite Church. Principal Investigator: Dr. James Cresswell. Secondary Investigators: Dr. Beth Stovell and Dr. Colin Toffelmire. On behalf of the Canadian Poverty Institute and Ambrose University. Awarded towards research on the role of churches in poverty reduction. With partners: The Canadian Council of Churches, the Centre for Community Based Research, and Canada Food for the Hungry.
- 2019-2020. Canadian Council of Churches Commission on Justice and Peace Grant ($8600 CAD), 2018-2020. Principal Investigator: Dr. James Cresswell. Secondary Investigators: Dr. Beth Stovell and Dr. Colin Toffelmire. On behalf of the Canadian Poverty Institute and Ambrose University. Awarded towards research on the role of churches in poverty reduction. With partners: The Canadian Council of Churches, the Centre for Community Based Research, and Canada Food for the Hungry.
- 2018-2019 and 2019-2020. Ambrose Sustaining Scholarship Program, Ambrose University, Calgary, AB.
- 2018. Ambrose Research Grant, Ambrose University, Calgary, AB, Summer 2018. Awarded for travel and research costs associated with the Tyndale Fellowship Conference, Old Testament Study Group, Cambridge, England, June 25–29, 2018; the Interfaith Seminar at University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Lampeter, Wales, July 11, 2018; the Seminar, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland.
- 2016. Ambrose Research Grant, Ambrose University, Calgary, AB, Summer 2016. Awarded for travel and research costs associated with the Sixth Annual Nangeroni Meeting on “John the Jew: Reading the Gospel of John’s Christology as a Form of Jewish Messianism,” Camaldoli, Italy, June 19-23, 2016.
Other Academic, Institutional, and Administrative Service
- 2010-present Editorial Board, Hope’s Reason: A Journal for Apologetics
- 2013 Judge, Student Paper Competition for Christians for Biblical Equality
- 2013 Young Scholar for Young Scholars Summit, Tyndale House, Cambridge University.
- 2013-2014 Program Coordinator for the Contemporary Biblical Scholars program, St. Thomas University, Miami, FL.
- 2013-2014. Program Coordinator for the Undergraduate Program, Bachelors in Religious Studies and Bachelors in Religious Studies (Online), St. Thomas University, Miami, FL.
Recent Conference Presentations
- 2020. “Of King and Coal, Hearing and Hardening: Ezekiel’s Intertextual Use of Isaiah in Conceptualizing Divine Presence and Prophetic Call” Invited speaker for the Isaiah and Intertextuality research group, Institute for Biblical Research Annual Conference 2020, November 2020, Boston, MA.
- 2019. “Metaphor and Metonymy in the Book of the Psalms: Overview” Invited speaker for the Biblical Hebrew Poetry and Psalms joint sessions, Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting 2019, November 22-26, 2019, San Diego, CA.
- 2019. “Exploring Kingdom Pneumatic Hermeneutics: A Vineyard Approach to Interpreting Scripture by the Spirit” Holy Spirit, Scripture, and Hermeneutics Session 2, Society of Vineyard Scholars, Annual Meeting 2019, Minneapolis, MN, May 2-4, 2019.
- 2019. “The Gospel as Good News for Global Poverty: A Biblical Theology of God’s Kingdom Justice.” Invited Speaker for the Evangelical Missiological Society, Calgary, AB, March 8, 2019.
- 2019. “Moving from ‘Them’ to ‘Us’: A Biblical Theology for Diaspora Ministry” Invited Speaker for the Jaffray-Ang Symposium “Beyond Hospitality: Migration, Multiculturalism and the Church.” January 16-18, 2019, Calgary, AB.
- 2018. “Empire, Power, and Politics in the Twelve” Co-written with George Athas and Colin Toffelmire. Institute for Biblical Literature, November 16, 2018, Denver, CO.
- 2018. “Conceptualizing God’s Presence and Spirit in Zechariah.” ETS OT Prophets and Apocalyptic Books session, Evangelical Theological Society Conference, November 15, 2018, Denver, CO.
- 2018. “Divine Presence in the Hebrew Bible.” Invited Speaker, Interfaith Seminar, University of Wales Trinity Saint David, Lampeter, Wales, July 11, 2018.
- 2018. “Filled, Empowered, and Trembling: God’s Spirit and Presence in the Minor Prophets.” Invited Speaker, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland, July 3, 2018.
- 2018. “Filled, Empowered, Dwelling, Trembling, and Fleeing: Mapping God’s Spirit and Presence in the Book of the Twelve.” Invited Speaker, Tyndale Fellowship Conference 2018, Cambridge, England, June 25-29, 2018.
- 2018. “Handmade Images, Noisy Harps, and Rolling Waters: Mapping Kingship, Worship, and Justice in the Book of the Twelve.” Canadian Society of Biblical Studies (CSBS-SCÉB) Annual Meeting 2018, Regina, SK, Canada, May 26-28, 2018.
- 2017. “Thinking Disciples: Life in the Spirit and the Life of the Mind.” Invited Speaker, Society of Vineyard Scholars 2017, Yale University, New Haven, CT, June 21-24, 2017.
- 2017. “Mapping Metaphors of God’s Spirit and Presence as Biblical Theology.” Invited speaker, Denver Seminary Biblical Studies Conference: Metaphor and Allegory in the Bible, Denver Seminary, Denver, CO, Feb. 10—11, 2017.
- 2016. “The Trinity, God’s Spirit and Presence, and the Book of the Twelve.” Invited presentation in the OT Theology Group, Evangelical Theological Society Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, November 17, 2016.
- 2015. “Poetry of Presence: Divine Presence and Divine Spirit in the Book of the Twelve.” In the Biblical Hebrew Poetry unit, Society of Biblical Literature, Annual Meeting 2015, Atlanta, GA, November 21-24, 2015.
- 2015. “The Gospel as Good News for the Poor: God as the King of Justice and Reconciliation.” Bingham Conference, McMaster Divinity College, Hamilton, ON, Canada, June 5, 2015.
- 2014. “Love One Another and Love the World: The Love Command and Jewish Ethics in the Johannine Community.” in the Johannine Literature unit, Society of Biblical Literature, Annual Meeting 2014, San Diego, CA.
- 2014. “Milestones in Johannine Literature: Great Scholars: C. H. Dodd.” Invited presentation in the Johannine Literature unit, Evangelical Theological Society, Annual Meeting 2014, San Diego, CA.
- 2014. “Synchronic Trends in the Book of the Twelve.” Book of the Twelve Prophets in Biblical Scholarship Research Group, Institute for Biblical Research, Annual Meeting 2014
- 2014. “Love One Another and Love the World: The Love Command and Jewish Ethics in the Johannine Community.” Canadian Society of Biblical Studies (CSBS-SCÉB) Annual Meeting 2014, St. Catherines, ON, Canada.