Peter Fenwick, MBA, BSME, CHE
MBA (Kellogg-Schulich program, York University and Northwestern Kellogg School of Management)
BSc in Applied Science, Mechanical Engineering (Queen’s University)
Certified Health Executive (Canadian College of Health Leaders)
Vita vitalis. What drives me is working with people who fundamentally believe Canadians deserve a far better social safety net than what exists in the current "publicly funded" model. Paraphrasing Tommy Douglas, “Health care is broken. Go fix it.” This is as true in 2018 as it was in the 1960’s. I am a health innovation leader, a disruptor and healthcare system agitator whose actions rally others and evolve the ‘business model’ of publicly accessible health services.
Given my career history and exposure to health systems across Canada and around the world I am a passionate advocate for measurably better health care achieved through collaboration and innovation adoption.
In addition to my work supporting early stage companies in health and health care within Alberta, Ontario, and British Columbia start-up communities I volunteer my time as an A100 member helping founding CEOs through the RBC Social Enterprise Accelerator, TELUS Technology Accelerator, Innovate Calgary, and the IBM/District Ventures Accelerator.
For much of my career I’ve worked inside large multi-national companies as a senior leader and corporate entrepreneur to redesign business models. I once took on such a role inside Alberta Health Services, Canada’s largest integrated health authority.
Overall my career results and impacts have yielded top line growth, building new teams, creating corporate spin-offs, and strengthening established teams. I’m experienced in senior positions across Canada and in international markets, inside start-ups and large multi-national brands, and inside health care delivery.
- Cannabis for medical purposes; clinical decision support tools.
- Complimentary and alternative modalities of health and health care in neurological research.
Scholarly & Professional Activity
- Science Policy: considerations for subnational governments. A Workshop Steering Committee Report. Council of Canadian Academies (credited steering committee member) http://www.scienceadvice.ca/uploads/ENG/AssessmentsPublicationsNewsReleases/subnationalsciencepolicy/SubNatlSciPol_FullReport_En.pdf
- Healthcare Quality & Safety Management: A Framework for Alberta http://hqca.ca/health-care-provider-resources/frameworks/healthcare-quality-safety-management-a-framework-for-alberta/ (credited working group member and editor)
- Alberta Health Services 2015-2020 Strategic Plan in Clinical Research, Innovation and Analytics https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/info/res/if-res-strat-doc.pdf (co-Author uncredited)
Recent Conference Presentations
- Unleashing Healthcare Innovation: An Evaluation of the Federal Report of the Advisory Panel on Healthcare Innovation. University of Calgary, School of Public Policy
- CADTH National Conference "What does the evidence say?" The Evolving Role of Real-World Evidence to Support Policy and Practice. (Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health)
- Using Activity Based Cost (ABC) Models to Drive Innovation and Service Excellence. 2nd annual activity based funding conference, Toronto. Co-presenter "Using Activity Based Cost (ABC) Models to Drive Innovation and Service Excellence"; and CFHI Panelist "Paying it Forward: Can Contained Hospital Costs be Shifted to Other Areas that More Directly Impact Health?”. (Canadian Foundation for Healthcare Improvement)
- Alberta Primary Health Care Improvement Symposium Fenwick, Smith, Kyne poster. A comprehensive health management approach to redesigning primary care: lessons learnt from international health co-operatives. https://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/embed_code/key/xeaICIFCZEyFxw
- Creating the New Alberta, an Alberta Council of Technologies convention, Red Deer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBnX9-YVmtM&index=10&list=PLsnf1B111aPsZSrWlOcP5SnnavxJWmnxw; Festival of BIG IDEAS, EDN https://youtu.be/hgGCm3Z5EOw?list=PLsnf1B111aPt7w3SaHwGhGk4bK5NdMPf8