Term-Certain Faculty Position: Music
Qualified applications are invited for the following TERM-CERTAIN FACULTY POSITION:
Faculty of Music
Start Date: August, 2021
Ambrose University invites applications for a Term-Certain faculty position in Music, starting August 2021. Reporting to the Academic Dean of Arts and Science and working collaboratively with the Chair of Ambrose Arts and other Arts faculty, the individual has shared responsibility for developing and executing a robust Music Program vision while successfully maintaining individual teaching, committee and research/performance loads.
Term-Certain Faculty consists of faculty not on the tenure-track. These are contract appointments for terms of up to 3 years with no presumption of continuing employment. Term certain appointments include teaching, service, and administrative responsibilities or special projects or research and scholarship activity as approved by the VPAA. Term certain faculty hold academic rank, voting privileges in Faculty Councils and are not eligible for sabbatical leave.
Primary areas of responsibility will be in Music Technology/Production. The music program offers a 4 year Bachelor of Music and 4 and 3 year Bachelor of Arts with a major in music with a broad-based tradition in classical music and jazz.
Duties will include:
- Preparation and teaching of lectures in music courses
- Developing and teaching new course/s that provide training and skills in music technology, recording arts and audio production
- Revising and/or building other curriculum in the areas of music production and technology
- Regular Ambrose Arts committee work
- Ongoing research, publication and/or professional practice
- Production responsibilities, participation in, and/or oversight of Ambrose Arts productions
- Teaching courses in the music theory and/or aural skills sequence
- Teaching the use of notation software in existing courses
Additional duties of this position may include:
- Music facilities responsibilities
- Oversight of student work-integrated-learning outcomes, and student “service” requirements
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
- PhD in music preferred, Master’s Degree in relevant music production field will be considered
- Demonstrated success in post-secondary teaching
- Demonstrated success in music technology
- Demonstrated experience as a team player and colleague in a music faculty
- Proven skills in music production (media, technology, communication and distribution of music)
- Preference will be given to candidates who have experience teaching courses in music theory and/or aural skills
INFORMATION ABOUT AMBROSE ARTS AND THE MUSIC PROGRAM
- Ambrose Arts exists within the Faculty of Arts and Sciences as a home for degree programs, minors, diplomas, and elective credit offerings in the visual and performing arts at Ambrose University. As a department, Ambrose Arts works to internally elevate awareness of the Arts while fulfilling the external cultural aims of the institution in Calgary and the world. Interdisciplinary interaction is of high value within the department.
- Ambrose Arts produces an annual performance season featuring student, faculty, alumni, and guest artists in music, theatre, and dance both on and off campus.
- Ambrose University Music has students minoring in music or majoring in one of three degree offerings: BA: Music Concentration (3-year); BA: Music Major (4-year) and BMus degree.
- Music degrees feature study in history, theory, applied music, aural training, and additional courses specific to the student’s career and educational direction.
- Music ensembles include Choir, Orchestra, Jazz Band, and Jazz ensembles. Ensembles often feature the involvement of community musicians, reflecting the strong emphasis on collaborative work within Ambrose Arts.
- Music graduates fill positions in churches, private music teaching, performing organizations, music related organizations or continue their education in post-degree programs (such as education) or graduate studies.
- Our ensembles and soloists offer a wide array of performances within the Ambrose Arts season throughout the year as well as participation in other university or community events.
- Ambrose Employees agree to uphold and sign the University’s Statement of Faith upon initial appointment and to govern the conduct of their work in accordance therewith.
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory criminal background check and academic transcripts.
- In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
- Compensation package is commensurate with education and experience.
To apply for this position: Send a letter of application, complete curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and the names and contact information of three referees to Ambrose University c/o firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “ Position in Music Production/Technology” in the subject line. Review of applications begins on April 5, 2021. However, the position will remain open until filled.
Ambrose University is committed to employment diversity and encourages applications from all qualified men and women, members of visible minorities, aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
Ambrose University is a private, accredited Christian post-secondary institute located in South West Calgary. Our Faculty of Arts and Science offers provincially accredited Bachelor of Arts degree programs majoring in Behavioural Science, Christian Studies, English Literature, General Studies, History, and Psychology as well as Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Music, and a Bachelor of Science majoring in Biology. We also offer a Bachelor of Education (After Degree). Our Faculty of Theology offers undergraduate degree programs in Children’s Ministries, Church Ministries, Intercultural Studies, Worship Arts and Youth Ministries. At the Seminary level there are a variety of graduate options including Master of Divinity, Master of Arts, Master of Christian Studies as well as Diploma and Certificate programs. Ambrose is committed to the integration of Christian faith with academic discipline, with a vision for academic excellence in the service of the church and the world. For more information visit us online at www.ambrose.edu.