Skip to main content


International Admission Requirements


International Students

Expatriates and Children of International Workers

Admission is based on the high school and/or post-secondary curriculum of study, rather the country of citizenship. 

  • For example, a Canadian citizen, living in Thailand, attending an international school with U.S. based curriculum will be evaluated for admission on the basis of U.S. entrance requirements.
  • Please contact if you have any questions at all regarding applicable entrance requirements.

International Students

  1. Applicants from other countries must present the equivalent to Alberta senior matriculation standing in order to be considered for admission. Normally, this means that such applicants must provide an equivalent to our basic admission requirements, which usually means official certificates or credentials that are comparable to  Canadian grade 12 courses. Contact the Admissions Office if further information is required.
    note : If official certificates or credentials are not written in English, there must be an official translation to English attached to the original documents.
  2. Begin by ensuring that you have completed an application for admission
    • Arrange to have an official copy of any transcripts from prior or present educational institutions sent directly from the institution to Ambrose University  – Enrolment Department.  This includes high school and any post-secondary education you have taken.
    • After your application arrives, we will send you supplementary forms.
    • For international wires the swift code is: TDOMCATTTOR. When sending a wire, please include your name and what the money is for. This information should be included in the sections titled "instructions for beneficiary" and "instructions for bank".
  3. Complete a Test of English as a Foreign Language 
    • A minimum score of 560 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-PBT) test, or a minimum score of 83 on the internet-based (TOEFL-iBT) test. More information on the TOEFL is available here.  The TOEFL institution code for Ambrose is 8915.
      • Note: We do not accept TOEFL Essentials, TOEFL ITP, or TOEFL ITP Plus.

    • A minimum score of 6.5 on the IELTS Academic test. More information on IELTS is available at  
    • A minimum score of 110 on the Duolingo test. More information on Duolingo is available here
    • A minimum score of 85 on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB).
    • A minimum score of 70 on the Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL). 
    • A minimum score of 58 on the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic).
    • A passing grade in English 30-1 or its equivalent.
    • Note: The requirements may be waived at the discretion of the University in cases where a student has attended an equivalent institution in North America, or can demonstrate English proficiency by other means.
    • If you are applying to the After Degree in Education, please visit the Education program requirements page for program-specific English proficiency information. 
  4. Allow at least six months to 1 full year to complete the entire process of coming to study in Canada. Applicants applying for the fall semester beginning in September should apply on or before March 1st and applicants applying for the winter semester beginning in January should apply on or before July 1st. Applicants will be considered after these dates; however, priority is given to students who have applied on or before the deadline.

Transfer Credit Transcript Evaluation

For transfer credit, Ambrose University now requires that the academic records of applicants who have completed their degrees outside of Canada and/or the United States be assessed by an international credit evaluation agency of official documentation. We require a course-by-course or comprehensive assessment. Ambrose University accepts assessments from the four organizations listed below.

Please send an official copy of your transcript for evaluation to one of the organizations listed below and then have an official copy of both your transcript and the evaluation sent to the Ambrose University Admissions Department.

Educational Credentials Evaluators (Select “Course by Course” Assessment)

Foreign Credentials Service of America (Select “Detailed Evaluation of Coursework”)

International Credential Evaluation Service (Select “Comprehensive Report”)

World Education Services – Canadian Office (Select “Course by Course Report”)

If you have any questions about this process, please reach out to our admissions team at

Mount Royal University LEAP Program

If you do not meet our English proficiency requirements, there is still a way for you to join us. We have partnered with Mount Royal University, where they offer a full-time English Language Program, known as LEAP. LEAP has an academic focus, including instruction on reading, writing, listening, speaking, grammar, vocabulary and literature. Successful completion of LEAP will prepare students for further academic study at Ambrose University.

For more information and to apply, click here or email

Beginning the Visa Application Process

  1. Contact your nearest Canadian Embassy and find out the specific details in regards to immigration.
  2. You may be required to submit the following:
    • An original letter (cannot be photocopied) from us stating that you have been fully accepted, the details of the course you will be taking and the length of the program.  Keep this letter on your person for your trip to  Canada, as you will be required to show it to custom’s officials.
    • A valid passport from your country.
    • Proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your dependants for your entire stay in Canada.
    • You must be able to support yourself and your dependants before a student authorization from the embassy in your country will be issued.  The expenses that you will need to cover include:
      • Full Tuition
      • Food, clothing, shelter, books, transportation, entertainment, personal needs and money to pay for health care premiums.
      • You may be required to show proof of funds for one year or your entire period of study.  This will depend on the regulations specified by the embassy in your country.
    • A medical clearance (country-dependent).
    • Proof of no criminal record.
    • The next step after you have everything that your embassy requires is to apply for your student authorization. Your student authorization may specify terms and conditions that govern your stay in Canada.
    • You must pay a fee for immigration services to process your application for student authorization.  The
      exact amount can be determined by your nearest embassy.

Immigration Consultant

You can reach out to an immigration consultant or lawyer to receive assistance with your study permit application. The government website also provides an instruction package on how to apply Study permit: How to apply -

Other Information

You may be allowed to work if you meet one of the following:

  • You want to work on campus (keep in mind that we do have limited on-campus jobs available).
  • Your spouse can apply for an open work permit once you arrive in the country.  This means that you cannot rely on any potential income from a working spouse when you are seeking your student authorization.
  • You are approved for a work permit by the government of Canada.  Students seeking these permits must meet all the criteria found here.  Students wishing to apply for Canadian work permit will need to work with our Admissions Manager. You can apply for a work permit once you have studied here full-time for 6 months.

Ambrose University’s Designated Learning Institution Number (DLI#) is:  O18713147522

Web Pages & Hyperlinks:

Immigration Services Working in Canada  Studying in Canada


Your Ambrose Enrolment Team

We are your main point of contact for admission inquiries, program information and for scheduling campus visits. We are passionate about connecting you with the Ambrose community, and are dedicated to your success as a student.

We are happy to help you with any questions you may have.

For all enrolment inquiries contact:

Tel: 403-410-2900
Toll Free: 800-461-1222