You are here

Open Studies/CPE/Visiting Students

Open Studies (Unclassified) Students

An "Open Studies student" is a student who is permitted to take regular university credit courses, but is not admitted to a program leading to a degree, certificate or diploma. Open Studies students must complete the Individual Course Registration. Open Studies students may be required to submit unofficial transcripts from all high school and/or post-secondary institutions attended. An Open Studies student is permitted to take a maximum of 15 credit hours at the undergraduate level and nine credit hours at the graduate level before he or she is required to complete the formal admissions process. As well, depending on the situation, Open Studies students will need to demonstrate proof of having courses that are pre-requisite to courses they want to register in. This can be done via an unofficial transcript pdf document sent to

CPE Students

Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) courses are offered through Ambrose University and students not admitted into a program at Ambrose would follow the same registration process as Open Studies students by filling out the Individual Course Registration. Students are accepted into CPE courses via Alberta Health Services. CPE courses include: SC 715 (Basic 1st Level), SC 716 (Basic, 2nd Level), SC716 (Advanced, 1st Level), and SC 718 (Advanced, 2nd Level) and are completed in this order. Any questions regarding the registration process can be emailed to .

Visiting Students

A "Visiting Student" is a student who is permitted to take a course or courses at Ambrose to transfer to a degree program at another recognized institution. Visiting students must complete the Individual Course Registration form as well as present a letter of permission from their host institution in order to register for Ambrose courses. 

How do I register for credit if I am an Open Studies, CPE, or Visiting Student?

  1. To register online, fill out the Individual Course Registration form
      • If you are a visiting student and would like to receive transfer credit, you must supply the Enrolment Office with a Letter of Permission from your home institution. Please attach the Letter of Permission from your home institution to your registration as a PDF.
      • If you are a CPE student, you can email a copy of your Letter of Acceptance separately.
      • Courses with prerequisites (excluding visiting and CPE students) require an unofficial transcript to show proof of completed prerequisite. Please scan and attach a PDF as a part of your online registration.

    Files you may need to complete your registration:

  2. Fill in the desired course(s), making sure you complete the form in full.

    REL 362-1

    Alliance History and Thought


    (Course ID) (Course Name) (Semester & Year)
  3. Once your registration is processed, you will be contacted by email with your student ID along with other student information. If you have any questions about your registration, please contact

How do I register for audit if I am a Visiting or Open Studies Student?

  1. Fill out the Request to Audit form.
  2. Fill in the desired course(s), making sure you complete the form in full.
  3. Submit completed form to the Office of the Registrar
  4. Once the form has been received by the Office of the Registrar, permission to audit in consultation with the instructor will be sought. Whether approved or denied, the Office of the Registrar will send confirmation via email, provided an email address has been indicated on the form.

Add/Drop Deadlines & Policies

How much are tuition and fees?

Tuition and fee information can be found on the reverse side of either of the Registration Form for Individual Courses or the Request to Audit forms, please either visit the Finance page or you may contact Student Finance at either: or 403-410-2910.

Academic Glossary of Terms


Contact the Office of the Registrar

If you require assistance, please contact the Office of the Registrar at your earliest convenience:

Office Hours:

Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Ph: 403-410-2905
Fax: 403-571-2556

Send Us an Email