Skip to main content

Transfer Credit

  • yourStudent

Ambrose University is a member of the Alberta Council on Admissions and Transfer (ACAT). ACAT publishes the transfer agreements that member institutions negotiate with each other in the annual Alberta Transfer Guide and at These agreements specify how courses will be accepted for credit by the partner institutions in ACAT (some partner institutions include the University of Calgary, the University of Alberta, and the University of Lethbridge, as well as a number of other post-secondary institutions in Alberta). 

If you have any questions related to transfer credit, please email your question(s) to:

The complete current Alberta Transfer Guide and information about the transferability of specific courses is available online at


Important Information

This guide is not exclusive. That is to say, additional courses may transfer to partner institutions, even if an agreement is not specified in the Transfer Guide. This Transfer Guide serves as a guarantee for the specific courses listed. Please be aware that the decision to award transfer credit ultimately lies with the receiving institution. Receiving institutions often have a minimum grade requirement for transfer credits.


Transfer Credit Policies

Transfer credit may be granted for previous post-secondary studies at recognized institutions. Evaluation of transfer credit is done by the Office of the Registrar at the time of a student's admission to a particular degree program and requires the submission of official transcripts sent directly from the institution where the credits were earned. In cases where the student's transcript is in a language other than English, it is the responsibility of the student to provide Ambrose University with an official English translation of the transcript.


New Students

To be considered for transfer, a course must be equivalent or near to the equivalent of a degree requirement, or fit within the maximum number of elective hours allowed in the particular degree program selected.


Current Students

By Letter of Permission, found on the Request Forms page of your student portal, degree students may take courses at other properly accredited institutions for transfer into a degree program. Such permission is subject to approval by the Office of the Registrar. Requests for a Letter of Permission should be made through the Office of the Registrar. Except by special permission, the number of courses taken as a visiting student in a regular semester shall not exceed the number of credits taken at Ambrose University. Residency and graduation requirements must be observed if the student plans to graduate from Ambrose University.


Bow Valley College 

Ambrose makes it easy for Bow Valley College students to finish your degree by building upon your Bow Valley courses, which are eligible for transfer into our programs. We also have specific pathways for you to use your Addictions Studies, Child and Youth Care or Justice Studies diploma programs toward our Behavioural Science degree. Click here for more information.  


Conditions of Transfer

Applications wishing to transfer credits should take note of the following:

  • A student must have earned a grade of not less than 'C' in all courses for which transfer credit is desired;
  • A minimum of 30 credits for all two-year degree programs must be completed at Ambrose University;
  • A minimum of 45 credits for all three-year degree programs must be completed at Ambrose University;
  • Students will not normally be permitted to complete courses at another institution during their final semester of study;
  • Transfer credit cannot be applied to the University Studies Diploma, or Bachelor of Ministry: Post Professional Program;
  • Transfer credit may not exceed half of the disciplinary courses in any Arts and Science three or four-year degree;
  • All transfer credit evaluations are program specific. A change of degree program may therefore result in alterations to transfer credits awarded;
  • Grades from transfer credits are not considered when calculating the student's GPA or cumulative GPA;
  • Credit is given for courses taken at universities, community colleges, or ABHE accredited colleges, provided such courses meet degree requirements, subject to certain limitations;
  • Students may register for courses prior to the completion of any necessary transfer credit evaluation. However, since credit can be granted only once for similar course work, students should be aware that registering for courses prior to the completion of their transfer credit evaluation may result in reduced transfer credit.

International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement (AP)

Transfer credit or advanced standing may be given for International Baccalaureate (IB) or Advanced Placement (AP) courses taken during the student' final year in high school. Students who have earned IB or AP credits will be evaluated individually to determine what credit, if any, they should receive. For IB, only Higher Level courses with a grade of 4, 5, 6, or 7 will qualify for evaluation. AP grades of 3, 4, or 5 will qualify for evaluation. The application of transfer credit requires the submission of official IB or AP transcripts sent directly to Ambrose University.



Transfer credit or advanced standing may be given for CLEP examinations, administered by The College Board in the USA. Contact the Office of the Registrar for further information.