You are here
- I live in the Calgary area but I’m not a student. May I use this library?
Yes, anyone may use the library space to study and access the library’s journal article databases while on campus. If you’re a Calgary and area resident (this includes Airdrie, Cochrane, Okotoks) and want to sign out books, speak to a library staff member about setting up a Community Borrower. These services are all available free of charge.
- I'm not a current student but I am an alum. May I use the library?
Yes, alumni may use the library space to study and access the library’s journal article databases while on campus. To sign out books, speak to a library staff member about setting up a Community Borrower account. These services are all available free of charge.
Ambrose Alumni have access to ATLAS through the Alumni Office. For login information, please visit the alumni webpage (look for ATLAS for Alumni information in right-hand menu).
- Is the library open on weekends?
Please check our homepage for up-to-date information on library hours.
- How do I access my library account?
Students: go to the library's homepage and click on the "My Library Account" button. Enter your Ambrose student credentials (same login that you use to access your Ambrose email). You can use your account to make book requests, track due dates and renew items.
Community Borrowers: go to the library's homepage and click on the "My Library Account" button. Enter your email address (must be the same one you provided when you signed up for an account) and you will be sent a link that gives you access to your account.
- How do I check out books?
There are 2 ways:
- Visit the library in person during open hours and a library staff member will be happy to help you find the books you need and sign them out to you.
- Request a book for pickup by logging into your library account:
- Once you are logged in and have found an item in the catalogue, click on the title for that item and then click on the blue "Request" button in the "Get it" section. If this button is not displayed in the catalogue record for the item, then it is not requestable.
- We will find the book on the shelf and place it on hold for you. You will receive an email when the book is ready for pickup.
- Note: we give priority to people who come to the library in person, so if a book you request is picked up by another person before we can pull it on your behalf, they will be able to sign it out.
- Your book will be available for pickup on the hold shelf by the Circulation Desk. These are not signed out to you yet; please sign your books out at the Circulation Desk.
- I’ve checked out some books. How long can I keep them?
The check-out period for books from the circulating collections is generally 2 weeks. For further information see the Borrowing page.
- May I check out audiovisual materials like CDs and DVDs?
Yes, these also have a 2-week loan period.
- How do renew my books?
Books can be renewed online by clicking on “My Account” in the library catalogue and using your Ambrose credentials to log in. Items that have had holds placed on them may not be renewed, nor can your materials be renewed if you owe $10 or more in fines. You can also call, email or visit us during our open hours to renew.
- Are my course textbooks available to borrow?
The library receives a list of required textbooks from the bookstore each semester. If a required course book is in our catalogue, we place it on reserve at the library’s Circulation Desk, and depending on what an instructor has requested, it can be borrowed for 2 hours, 2 days, or 1 week. Ask a library staff member to sign out any reserve books.
- When can I return my books?
Return books inside the library during open hours and in the outside book return bin when the library is closed.
- How much are overdue fines?
We often have only a single copy of a book in our collection, so overdue fines help to ensure that all students have an equal opportunity to use a book.
You will receive a Courtesy Notice 2 days before a book is due, giving you time to sign into your account to renew it.
You will receive a Recall Notice if someone else requests a book you have signed out, notifying you of an updated due date.
Overdue fines are assessed as follows:
Any Item not on Reserve
Recalled Books (someone else has requested the book)
$1.00 / item / day
$1.00 / item / hour
$5.00 / item / day
- Are there study rooms available at the library?
The library has 4 Bookable Study Rooms. For more information on policies and booking, see the Book a Study Room page.
- I’m an Ambrose student. How do I get a computer and/or email account?
All registered students are assigned a computer and email account. If you’re having trouble accessing them, or don’t remember your password, visit the IT Department or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-410-2930.
- Is there a printer or photocopier I can use at the library?
Yes, there is a colour printer/photocopier in the library that you can access with your Student Card. For information about how to load a print balance onto your card, or how to send documents to the printer, visit the IT Department or contact them at email@example.com or 403-410-2930.