Skip to main content

Residence Life FAQ


How does the residence program work?

The residence program is set up to support you in your time at Ambrose. Each pod has either a male or a female Residence Assistant who gives leadership to the pod. They are responsible for assisting the Residence Director (RD) in creating and maintaining a living-learning environment in which you and your fellow students can experience the greatest emotional, social, physical, spiritual and intellectual development.

What is a Residence Assistant (RA)?

A RA is an upperclass-student who has taken on the responsibility of being a supportive leader to the members of his or her pod. RAs lead floor meetings every Wednesday night. These meetings are a time for the students on the pod to study the Bible, pray, share about their lives and spend quality time together. Also, RAs are available to meet with individual students for times of prayer, encouragement and conversation.

When can I move into the residence?

If you’re starting in Fall Semester:  Residence move in is typically on Labour Day in September for New Students and the day before classes for Returning Students. 

If you’re starting in Winter Semester; Residence Move In typically occurs the day before classes for all students.  
Students will be contacted near the start of each semester to confirm move in times.

What can I expect to be in my room when I arrive?

Residence rooms include:

  • Twin mattress and bed frame
  • Armoire
  • Desk
  • Desk chair
  • Window coverings
  • Garbage can
  • Vanity with mirror

What should I bring when I move in?

We recommend that you bring:

  • Toiletries
  • Towel
  • Bed sheets (regular length twin bed)
  • Pillow
  • Duvet
  • Hangers
  • Desk lamp
  • Laptop/Computer
  • School supplies

Other items to consider: 

  • Bedside table
  • Photos
  • Basic dishes for snacking in your pod
  • Towel hook over door
  • Sticky Tack
  • Shower Caddy

Can my friend and I be roommates?

Yes! There is a section on the residence application that asks if you have a friend you would like to live with (roommate) or share a bathroom with (suitemate). Both of you need to request each other for the request to be considered.

What happens if my roommate and I face conflict?

Living together can be challenging and conflicts and difficulties can arise.  As a community we also value being able to work to resolve conflicts and restore relationships. You and your roommate will participate in a roommate workshop at the beginning of the year to help discuss important topics for living together. Your Resident Assistant (RA) and other Residence Life staff will work with you and your roommate to encourage resolution, if none can be reached other options can be pursued.

How is the residence building set up?

There are two Residence buildings: Wilson, which has three floors, and Residence Education (Res Ed), which has two floors for residence. Each floor is divided into two pods. One is a women's pod and the other is a men's pod. Each pod is secured and the rooms of each pod border a common area that has soft seating and a small kitchenette. Lounges and common areas are located in each residence basement where there are also laundry facilities and kitchens. 

Can I make my own food?

While meal plans are required for Residence students, there are spaces available for cooking meals if you want to make other food or have dietary restrictions.  You can use the kitchenette in your pod to store and prepare small snacks like cereal and popcorn. There are also kitchens in each residence basement for preparing larger personal meals.

How much does laundry cost?

There are seven sets of high-capacity machines available for you to use in both Residence Buildings.  There is no extra cost for laundry, it is included with your residence fees.

What security measures are in place to keep residence safe?

We promote safety for residence and across campus in the following ways:

  • 24 hour security patrol of all public buildings and campus grounds
  • Security cameras located across campus
  • Safe walk is provided
  • All doors to residence buildings are locked at all times and require activated campus cards to access
  • Every pod has a Residence Assistant (RA) who is responsible for student safety

Can I bring a microwave or a mini fridge for my room?

Although mini fridges are allowed, they aren’t recommended. They tend to take up too much space, heat up the room from their exhaust, and overload electrical outlets. Personal microwaves are not allowed. Each pod has a small kitchenette equipped with two fridges, a microwave, a sink and cabinets for small snacks such as cereal or popcorn. There is generally plenty of room in the kitchenette fridges, and you won’t need your own microwave.

Can I bring my own TV?

You can bring your own TV for your room. 

Are there computers for me to use in the residence?

No. Computers are available in the library. Check out their hours of operation.

Is there a phone for me to use in the residence?

No. Most students use a cell phone while living in residence. The residence does not have standard phone jacks, but uses Cat-5E data lines that can be used for Internet or phone service.

Is there Internet access in the residence?

The whole residence has wireless internet access. 

What are the rules?

When a student signs up to live in residence they click to agree to live by the Ambrose Community Life Standards and the Residence Life Community Standards.  A hard copy of these rules will be provided to students at the beginning of the year but it's important that students review these before moving into residence.

Can I be off campus overnight?

Yes! You simply have to inform your RA if you’ll be away overnight. This is a safety measure; residence staff must know who’s in the building in case of an emergency.

Can I bring my pet to residence?

Small fish are the only pets permitted in the residence. Fish tanks no larger than 25 litres are allowed.

Is there parking available?

There are 75 parking stalls available in the residence parking lot for students who live in residence. Parking fees apply.

Reserve Your Residence Parking Spot

Is there a place to store my bike?

Yes.  There are bike racks on campus. There is also a bike storage unit located outside of the residence building that has a locked door.  It is highly encouraged that bikes are locked.

Do any Calgary Transit buses or trains go to the campus?

The campus is located only minutes from a major bus terminal and C-Train station. See the Calgary Transit website for more information.

What do I do in case of an emergency?

Each pod has emergency procedures and phone numbers. The Residence On-Call phone number is 587-890-2066.

There is 24 hour security on campus. In an on campus emergency you will call security (403-827-0108) or 911 depending on the situation.

It is imperative that your Resident Assistant and/or Resident Director are informed immediately.

Who is responsible for cleaning my room and the pod?

You are responsible for cleaning your room and bathroom. The facilities staff will clean the main pod area, except if students have made an excessive mess.

What happens if I have a maintenance problem in my room?

You should report maintenance issues to our Work Request maintenance department ( - they should be able to help you with any issues that may arise. Students are responsible for any damages caused to their room that goes beyond normal domestic wear and tear. Light bulbs will be replaced by facilities staff.

Do I need insurance when I live in the residence?

Tenant insurance is now covered in the Residence fees.  You can view the Residence Tenancy Agreement in the Residence Application.  There is no option to opt out of this insurance at this time.  For more information about the Residence Tenancy Agreement, please contact Campus Services.

How do I get mail when I live in residence?

All mail goes through the Reception desk in the Main Academic building, and you will receive a notification email if you have a letter or package to be picked up.  All mail is to be addressed to you by using your name followed by the main campus address.

For example:

Jane Doe
150 Ambrose Cir. SW
Calgary, AB T3H 0L5

When do I have to move out of the residence?

Typically, move out occurs on the day after the last scheduled exam period each semester.

Note: The residence halls close at the end of each semester, including Christmas break.  Students staying for both semesters do not need to move their things out at Christmas, but the building will be vacated in December.
If you want to stay past the official residence move-out day, you can discuss continuing rental fees with Campus Services.

Do I have to live in the residence?

While not required, we highly recommend all first year students under 21 years of age to live in Residence. We believe it is your best options for a smooth and supportive transition into university life and to experience all that Ambrose community has to offer.  Studies show that living in residence has a positive impact on student satisfaction and degree completion, plus who can beat the commute?

Note: Every student who intends to live in residence must complete all steps of the Residence Application process.  

* Ambrose reserves the right to modify this information at any time without notification.

Have a question we haven’t answered here? Contact the Residence Director.